Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lactate Threshhold Test

Today was a hard day.  We had a lactate threshhold HR test.  What does that mean?  It is a test that when you are done you will be able to determine your HR training zones.  It is more precise than using 220 minus your age.

So you warm up for 10 minutes then you run as hard as you can for 30 minutes.  The idea is to run the same pace for the entire 30 minutes.  At 10, 20, & 30 minutes you take your heart rate.  You then avg those numbers.  The average specifies your heart rate at the bottom of zone 5.  From that number you can calculate your zone 1, 2, 3, & 4 HR ranges.

The test was grueling. I started out at a good pace.  The usual suspects went flying by me.  Suspiciously, there was one person that stayed behind.  It was my new shadow, Steve.  As you may remember he haunted me in the 1 mile test a few weeks ago.  He was back.  He stayed within 20 yards of me the whole time.  At the end he over took me. I just could not run any faster.  Good job, Steve.

The results were:
Ran 5500 meters in 29.5 minutes. (I stopped running at 29.5min because I felt like I was too close to my max HR.  Better to be safe than sorry.)  This was 3.41 miles.  Broken down in 5k time, I ran a 5k under 27minutes which is a personal best. More importantly my HR average was 163.  This means that my zone 2 training ceiling is 144 bpm.  I had been using 120 per the 220 rule mentioned above.  I do need to have the CL confirm this.

All in all I will be able to train at a faster pace from here on out.  This makes sense since 2 years ago I trained for a half ironman and trained at 140HR pace for the run.  I was definitely ready for that half ironman.

We are swimming tomorrow.  I will be getting up early, so I am going to bed early.  Good night!

2 comments:

  1. You went to bed at 6pm?

    Congratulations on your new ability to go faster. Unfortunately, this means CL will know if you are sandbagging it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, but she already knew. She tracked how far we went.

    The time I posted does not seem right.???

    ReplyDelete